Monday, December 17, 2007

Law of the Jungle

I must write a brief follow-up to my post detailing the treatment of children by their teachers in Korea. The subject came up with a Korean physical education teacher I know here and somewhat encouragingly, she told me that while there certainly was a lot of... shall we say - direct motivation of children employing bodily contact - this was not so common now as it used to be.

Perhaps discouragingly though, the reason is that teachers are no longer held in the great respect which they used to be in Korea - such that nowadays, if parents consider their children have been treated poorly at school, they are entirely likely to turn up at said school to employ a little physical motivation of their own against the teacher.

Having lived through Spring Fighting Season here, I can't say I'm entirely surprised by this latest revelation, but as much as I welcome a society that doesn't beat its children, the reasons why may not bode well for the future of this society. Korea, fighting!

Korean tags: 폭력, 학교, 선생, 아이

No comments:

Post a Comment